Friday, February 1, 2013

Scientists: Breaking Stereotypes (and protocols)

For those keeping track of my life (as if someone does, with the exception of my family), you would know that I'm currently pursuing graduate studies in some East Asian country while doing laboratory work involving cells and tissues. I think choosing this path rather than going to medical school was a good decision, even though there's the occasional "I just want to strangle everyone here" moments. I easily get over such moments though.



I have always been fascinated with research work since I was in grade school which, back then, we fondly call "investigative projects". It's like a kiddie thesis where we have to present and defend the projects, although I must admit we come up with some bad ideas for it. To name a few:
  • Why chocolate-flavored lip balm is better than strawberry
  • Man-powered fans
  • How to make a charcoal
  • Wood leather
Then came high school. Of course there is a need for a more sophisticated research since I was studying in a science high school. Therefore I came up with several ideas; ideas so sophisticated and ambitious it almost failed. Sort of. Blame my ambition of entering the INTEL Science Fair. 

The most successful one involves the extraction of collagen from fish scales to be used as bacterial feed. A VERY crude extract was made by boiling these scales over a gas range. We stored it in a vial, and that's it. We made it to the school finals though, and that's where my dreams ended.

Other researches I did involved USB-to-USB file transfer via bluetooth (which obviously failed miserably), and extraction of beta carotene from Areca catechu. Why extract it? I can't even remember. At least in college our thesis made sense AND we were able to gather relevant data. Had to kill fifty mice for that though. Ah, the things I do in the name of science.

The most painstaking part of conducting a research is of course the experiment proper. Sometimes I wish data would just magically pop out of nowhere so that I would not have to undergo the arduous process of experimentation. Sometimes you will fuck up in the middle of the experiment and you have to do it all over again. And then when finally you have your data, you don't even know what to do with it. Science is more often like a mother having PMS, you just don't understand her. That's why you do everything just to avoid her wrath, like...EVERYTHING. 

Just like in science. Let's admit it, scientists HATE failing. They have high regard for themselves. When they fail it's like a gut punch, a strike to their ego. Scientists will do anything to avoid the harsh reality of science which comes in the form of a mean professor, a condescending senior, or an overbearing adviser. That's why we do not necessarily play by the book all the time, as evidenced by the following images I've found on the internet. Looks like I am not alone, and never will be.






I even made some based on my experience!




P.S. Not condoning irresponsibility and sleaziness in the scientific community though.

No comments:

Post a Comment